No doubt, among the important things that make legal language hardest to comprehend is its uncommon words and terms. Some legal terms such as-judge, court, interrogation and so on are fairly well known, where as others are total mystery to non-professionals. Some legal works have the tendency to include long sentences, often hundreds of words in length. This makes the transcription job harder. Below are some tips and tips of the legal terms experienced in legal transcription and the best ways to transcribe a document effectively.
Some tough legal words and terms
. Without understanding these, transcribing legal documents will be almost impossible.
1. Arbitration-A technique of alternative disagreement resolution in which the contesting partiesagrees to follow the decision of an arbitrator.
2. Assignment-The transfer of legal rights, from one person to another.
3. Bankruptcy-This is a process governed by the federal law to assist individuals, when they can not or will not pay their expenses.
4. Bifurcation-Splitting a trial into 2 parts: a liability stage and a penalty phase.
5. Certiorari- It describes the order of a court so that it can review the decision and proceedings in the lower court.
6. Deed-A written legal document that describes a piece of home and details its boundaries.
7. Defamation-The publication of the declaration that injures an individual’s credibility.
8. Deposition-It is a procedure where a witness affirms under oath, before trial.
9. Escrow-The deed of a residential or commercial property will be in escrow( in pending), till the completion of the realty transaction.
10. Foreclosure-When a customer can not repay a loan and the loan provider seeks to sell the residential or commercial property.
11. Immunity-Exemption from a legal responsibility or penalty.
12. Implied warranty-An assurance imposed by law in a sale.
13. Intestate-To die without a will.
14. Plaintiff-The individual who initiates a claim.
15. Pro se-A person who represents himself in court alone without the help of the legal representative.
16. Quash-To nullify or declare void.
17. Slander-Defamatory oral declarations and gestures
18. Subpoena-An order engaging a person to appear in court or produce documents.
19. Suvoir Dire-Means speak the fact.
Tips to end up being an excellent legal transcriptionist
Below are particular rules you have to keep in your mind to become a good legal transcriptionist.
1. Pay attention to a legal expression or group of significant words thoroughly once again and again prior to transcribe, till you are uncertain.
2. Understand each legal statement correctly and utilize them appropriately.
3. Analyse exactly what is being determined, listen totalitarian’s voice, and follow it as a guide.
4. A 1-hour tape will take not less than 3 to 4 hours, depending upon your speed. Maintain an excellent speed throughout, so that you can finish it in time.
5. Evaluation file for a 2nd time and improve it by studying guidelines.
6. Use information found in the appendix, prefix, suffix areas of legal reference texts, whenever essential.
7. Edit the last copy, which must be devoid of spelling, punctuation, grammar or any other errors.
8. Proofread the transcript with 100% precision.
Legal transcription includes the conversion of audio files into typed records. Modern legal transcription innovation has actually gone digital and is extremely efficient.